Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Culling and Optimization

I mentioned a method of culling scenes based on what room you are in and what rooms you can see from that room, in my interim report. Unfortunately, that is how I described it. The method is actually known as Portal Culling.

I know that it is used in Fallout 3 and should have searched that for details.

I found a video on youtube today which confirms what I wanted to implement. If I can do this then rendering and collision detection in my game will be awesome! (this discovery is one which boosts confidence for a decent game to be created.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tviftgg1jMI&feature=related


I said in the previous blog that today will be implementation of a quadtree heightmap which will be done followed by an octree for the scene objects and portal culling.

I still need to find a method of displaying dynamic objects without having to constantly rebuild the scene octree. One solution could be to implement a secondary tree for dynamic objects or to sort objects by room. That is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment